Top Ten For The Weekend
Thanks for stopping by. Are you new to Black and Bookish? Please take a look around. These are the Books I've reviewed or you can Start Here to get an overview of who I am and what I do. Don't forget to subscribe to get news and posts sent straight to your inbox.
This is taking the place of Weekly Wrap-Up. It just wasn't accomplishing my goal of being an "in case you missed it" kind of post. Making the posts were tedious, and somewhat lacking in substance. I spend a lot of my time reading short form articles, and I wanted to bring other perspectives into the blog. Top Ten for the Weekend will be my favorite bookish or informative things from the week. That can include book titles, quotes, articles, photos, ANYTHING that moved me. Please enjoy the first installment of TTftW:
- My Sister, She (a poem) by Jasmyne K. Rogers
- Why We Must Find Space for the Activism of Black Women Academics by Jenn M. Jackson
- Afro-Zen, The Afro Centric Coloring Book for Grown-ups by Sinai Fleary
- What Maya Angelou Taught Melissa Harris-Perry About Courage an interview with Rev. Dr. Katharine R. Henderson
- Newbery Medal Acceptance Speech by Kwame Alexander
- Why Harriet Tubman on the $20 Matters So Much to Me As a Black Woman by Evette Dionne
We all were sadden to hear of the passing of a music and fashion icon on yesterday morning. Prince passed away at the age of 57. Here are my favorite articles paying tribute to him and his legacy.
- Prince Was the Paton Saint of Black Weirdos by Ijeoma Oluo
- 'Hamilton' Cast Goes Crazy With Rousing Tribute to Prince by Ed Mazza
- 'The Color Purple' Cast's Powerful Prince Rendition Will Choke You Up by Willa Frej
A strong spirit transcends rules -Prince ( 1958-2016)
Enjoy your weekend!